Monday, March 19, 2012

The Hunger Games Training, Day 6

As soon as I heard that THG was being made into a movie, questions about Katniss' famous "girl on fire" dress flooded my mind.  I had no idea how the costume director would create such a fanciful, high tech, futuristic garment.  If you watch the trailer, we catch a glimpse of it, and to be honest, it looks like a little bit of a letdown.

But I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude.  Here's Katniss' description of it from the book:
“I am dressed in what will either be the most sensational or the deadliest costume in the opening ceremonies. I’m in a simple black unitard that covers me from ankle to neck. Shiny leather boots lace up to my knees. But it’s the fluttering cape made of streams of orange, yellow, and red and the matching headpiece that define this costume. Cinna plans to light them on fire just before our chariot rolls into the streets.” —Katniss in The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

InStyle magazine asked several fashion designers to sketch their interpretation of the dress.  Here's what they came up with:
Christian Siriano.  Fierce, just like him.  Pretty true to the description.

Tommy Hilfiger.  Did he even try?  
Rachel Roy.  Love it.  Especially the inclusion of THG logo on the boot.
Tadashi Shoji.  I would absolutely wear this, but it looks way too red carpet.  
Charlotte Ronson.  Possibly the most accurate and appropriate.  Love.
Nicole Miller.  I really appreciate her attention to detail.  Maybe slightly too crazy with the headpiece.
Christian Cota.  Very fanciful.
Tibi.  Love Tibi, but I'm sorry, no.
Eric Fetherston.  Like it, but I imagined the cape as longer.
The Blonds.  Pretty crazy (what is up with her face?)  but would be really cool.
BCBGeneration.  Very true to the BCBG style.  Once again, looks like something I would wear.  Since the ruffles look literally like fire, I just don't know how that would be executed.

What is your favorite?  Thoughts on Jennifer's actual dress?

No comments:

Post a Comment