Friday, May 13, 2011

pomp and circumstance

I've been avoiding this, but I suppose it's time to accept my graduation from Furman and make a feeble attempt to move on with my life.  Move out day was fairly rough, between the tears and hauling the things I've acquired over the last four years to our two small cars.  Thankfully, the girls and I headed to Austill's beach house in Gulf Shores for some much-needed relaxation and to prolong the inevitable goodbye.  Thus, I'm just now getting around to reflecting on "the best days of my life," as everyone tells me (in the spirit of optimism, I sure hope not).

This is more for my own sake than for anyone else's, but I'd like to summarize my Furman career in a nutshell:
-Blackwell 300, despite its frightening accommodations that brought me to tears upon first seeing pictures, made the most significant impact on my college experience.  It gave me my first love, friendships that would last all four years, and helped me find my niche at Furman.
-FUtones was my dysfunctional family in college.  I always say that some of my best friendships developed over a cappella music, some friends that I don't think I'd otherwise sought out, and I am eternally grateful for the many hours spent singing (but mostly arguing) with them.
-Ah, Kappa D, I have a love/hate relationship with you, but we all know it's mostly one filled with love.  While I despise reports and cringe when I hear the word "confidence," KD gave me lifelong friends, a chance to develop as a leader, and the realization of what I want to do with the rest of my life.  So, I guess it's fair to say I have a soft spot for daggers, nautilus shells, and teddy bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment